Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chelsea fan dies after Man Utd’s first goal

A 21-year old woman described by family members as ‘a staunch Chelsea supporter’ died on the way to hospital after fainting just minutes when Manchester United striker, Javier Hernandez scored the first goal in Tuesday's Champions League quarter-finals clash between the Red Devils and The Blues.
Tabitha Nyambura, who was an aviation student, was watching the game with her mother and other family members at home in Kiserian, a town which is about thirty kilometres from Nairobi City, when she heaved heavily thrice, just seconds after Hernandez scored the opener before she passed out.

“After Manchester United scored the first goal, she simply said, ‘United will win this match’ and then took three deep breaths before falling down,” her mother told Citizen TV.

“She died on the way as we rushed her to hospital. She was shocked because she never expected Manchester United to win.”

Her father who was not at home at that time told the TV station that Tabitha was a staunch Chelsea supporter and watched all their matches and other matches in the English Premier League.

“I was away but she loved Chelsea and watched all their matches and that of other teams. She also liked to play football occasionally while at home,” the father said.

The family was awaiting post-mortem results to ascertain the real cause of her death.

This is not the first time a Kenyan fan had died because of football matches happening far away in England.

In May 2009, Seuleiman Alphonso Omondi, an ardent Arsenal fan committed suicide after Manchester United eliminated the Gunners from the Champions League on a 4-1 goal aggregate.

And in March last year, a 19-year old Manchester United fan, Abubakar Baishe was repeatedly stabbed by fellow school-mate, who was an Arsenal fan. Baishe was stabbed in the left side of his abdomen after United beat Liverpool. Baishe though survived the tragic incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...