Saturday, June 22, 2013

Athletics: Odumosu, Okorie wins 400m hurdles gold

 

Odumosu could not smash her earlier record.



The current national 400m female gold hurdles holders, Ajoke Odumosu, has expressed confidence that with her daily improving performance, she is ripe and ready for the world championships.


Odumosu disclosed this on Friday after she won the 400m hurdles gold for women at the ongoing All Nigeria/Cross River Open Athletics Championships in Calabar.

She clocked 56.35 seconds ahead of Ndu Ogonna, who claimed the silver at 56.87 seconds, and Ann Nwaogu, the bronze prize winner who made 58.19 seconds.

Odumosu of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), who holds the national record of 54.40 seconds set in 2012, could not match her own record in the championship.

“I know I have improved a lot. This year is slow coming and I know I’ve improved a lot but I give God the glory things are getting better.

“Every time I run, I try to be more aggressive from the blocks I attack the hurdles and hoping my strength helps me to finish strong. I’m ready for the world championships,” an elated Odumosu said.

Meanwhile, Henry Okorie of the Nigeria Customs won the men’s 400m hurdles gold medal in 51.30 seconds.

Okorie’s finishing time was, however, a far cry from the national record of 48.50 seconds set by Henry Amike in 1987.

Lucky Iyoha of the Nigeria Prisons Service won the silver at 52.86 seconds, while Steve Fika of NSCDC won the bronze at 53.18 seconds.






premiumtimesng.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...